Wednesday 25 September 2013

A Recipe to Use up Bread

Bread and butter pudding

A delicious old fashioned pudding that uses up the end of the loaf.
I haven't been buying our usual Vogels bread for weeks now - instead making my own using Annabel Langbein's Busy Persons Bread recipe  which is a no fuss recipe that turns out every time - no breadmaker needed. 
For a change Derek bought one of his favourite caraway loaves, only to be disappointed - must be a different baker. But it makes a great B n B pudding.

Bread and Butter pudding ready for the oven.


4  thick slices of bread, buttered       1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs                                           lemon rind
2 tablespoons of sugar                    1/2 cup sultanas
2 1/2 cups milk                               nutmeg or cinnamon

Arrange the slices of bread, butter side out, in an ovenproof dish.
Beat eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla - pour half of this over the bread and let it stand 10 mins.
Whisk the remaining mix, add rind and sultanas and pour over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Stand the dish in a large pan of water. Bake at approx 160c for 40 - 45 mins until set.

Failure!


Some time back I posted that I was going to try growing ginger from root that I had bought at the supermarket because it looked like it was going to sprout. Well I have to report...nothing. It still looks the same. It must have been treated with something to stop it sprouting...ah well.

Five Regrets of the Dying

I recently stumbled across the blog of Bronnie Ware, called Inspiration and Chai, in which she expands on the sentiments below - worth a visit.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I didn't work so hard
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

Today I have been out visiting my lovely friend Yvonne - she always inspires me.
And I didn't work very hard haha.
Plus I totally give myself permission to be happy - an old colleague I met in the supermarket told me I inspired him to do what he loves - yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.