Follow by Email

Thursday, 26 September 2013

Hummus and life



"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed".
Mahatma Gandhi

Eco pack for the car

This is a good idea to take along to save on disposables.

  • A film container or medicine bottle with a recycled plastic bag in it for emergencies (like picking up shells and seaglass from the beach)
  • picnic cutlery for the family to save needing more when you get a chinese takeaway  (which hopefully you have taken containers for)
  • Reuseable coffee cups such as my ideal cup  - keep some in your glove compartment.
  • Acrylic wine glasses. I cant tell you how often these have come in handy. 



I'm taking things quietly for a few days, after flying off my bike yesterday and landing on my face. I now look like I lost a fight, with six stitches, a black eye and a swollen face. Lesson learned about speed, hills and metal. It could have been worse.
So this morning I am completing the hummus I had planned to make yesterday, which I have started from dried chickpeas, as taking a step back from the convenience of tinned chickpeas.

To prepare dried chickpeas
Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of water.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Place in a large saucepan with double the volume of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 40 mins, or until tender.

They can be frozen just like this for 1 year according to one site, but I would rather use them in 6 months or less.

Hummus


For a smoother hummus cook your chickpeas until very soft, firmer texture is preferred for curries etc, so I have compromised.

Into the food processor throw:

2 cups of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 cup of orange juice - I used a mix of citrus like lemonades and oranges that I wanted to use up.
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cumin
salt to taste - approx 3/4 tsp
olive oil - approx 2-3 tablespoons
A large tablespoon of unsweetened greek yoghurt

just add yoghurt and whizz


Blend to desired consistency - done!

So now I'm feeling good about doing away with the expensive and packaged hummus from the deli section, but also bypassing cans, as chickpeas are a good bulk buy with my own container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.