Thursday 7 August 2014

Broad Bean and Feta Salad, and Plastic Purge (the book)

One day last week Katie asked me "what's for dinner?" When I told her the first course was Broad Bean and Feta Salad she screwed her face up just a little. I wanted her to just try it...and she discovered that she liked it so much that she finished it all off, and stated that she would happily take it for her school lunch. 
She is such an easy kid to get on with - how many people can say that about their partner's teenage daughter who comes to live with them - I am lucky.

So here is the recipe - may it make all your teenagers happy.

Broad Bean and Feta Salad
This comes from the book - "Gorgeous Greens" by Annie Bell

Broad Bean and Feta Salad


500g frozen baby broad beans  ...my beans weren't babies, and my oil wasn't 
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil                   virgin....still good.
juice of 1/2 lemon
sea salt, black pepper
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced diagonally
6 tablespoons of coarsely chopped fresh flat parsley
200g feta, crumbled
50g rocket leaves, optional

Bring a large pan of water to boil and cook the broad beans as per packet instructions - or use fresh ones if you have them.
Drain into a colander and leave for a few minutes for the water to evaporate.
Toss the hot beans with the olive oil and lemon juice, seasoning and leave to cool.
Toss in the spring onions and 2/3 of the parsley. Scatter the feta and remaining parsley over the top and splash with a little more oil.
You can toss in a few rocket leaves, or serve the salad over a few dressed leaves.


Plastic Purge by Michael Sanclements

I may appear fanatical if you look at my reading material, but really I am just passionate, and I love non-fiction.
I figure if you get just one thing worth keeping out of each book, then you are winning.


I found this one really interesting, in that I learnt, for one thing, that one of the first purposes of plastic was to find a product that could replace ivory in billiard balls - there was even a huge reward offered for someone who could come up with a suitable man-made material.
Also that the energy from 9 plastic bags is enough to drive a car about 3/4 mile. Does that make you feel good about taking your reuseable bags to the shops?
This book is from our local library..I love that place!

I'm looking forward to a busy weekend at the Bay of Islands Jazz and Blues Festival - hopefully for throw a few pics in next week.


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try that salad! I love broad beans/Lima beans but can't seem to grow them. They just don't germinate. Looks like a good book, too. I really try to live with as little plastic as possible. The music festival sounds fun. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, the Jazz n Blues festival was great! Hope you enjoy that salad too.

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.