Sunday 14 May 2017

Refreshed post Travel

After 3 weeks in Tasmania and Melbourne, home's still a great place. I'm so grateful to have a home, having seen how many homeless people are out there. It's not really something we see in my local city.

My first discovery was on the plane. I wasn't fully prepared to deal with the disposables on the plane, but had taken my own water bottle, which can be filled pre flight once checked through security, and my reusable cup. Both of these were useful on the flight, with the flight attendants cheerfully filling my own cup for a hot drink. Next time I will be taking the plastic cutlery we were given as I would have been able to refuse these on the Qantas Flight, they didn't come automatically with the meal.


Tasmania has banned single use lightweight plastic bags since Nov 2013 and it was such a delight to see so little plastic in use. Why can't every country do this? I traveled with home made carrier bags, and used them every day.

Op-shops in Australia are fabulous! It is hard to tell them from an actual retail shop - beautiful, colour coordinated window displays and no op-shop odour. Lots of designer clothes. Good prices too.

My $5 leather bag


I learned to use the macro setting on my camera while I was away. This shot is from Nelson Falls in Tasmania, also the video..

Moss, macro shot



We visited the Van Gogh exhibition in Melbourne. We were able to get up so close to the masterpieces. I found it thrilling to be able to stand in front of each piece, not only admiring the work, but knowing that van Gogh himself had stood in front of each of those works all those years ago. He would never have imagined their impact on the world. 

Derek has the best shots ever


I loved this quote of his...






5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good break away, I love that Van Gough Quote!
    Anne I live in hope that we will see single use plastic bags banned in our country within the next decade, Qld is already making inroads in this direction, and many small local councils (like ours) are looking to ban bags in our town, even though it's not a state thing yet. I'm actively sewing with Boomerang Bags at the moment, doing what I can, can't wait for launch day in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's going to happen everywhere (the plastic bag ban) but some politicians don't want to be the ones to do it in case it makes them unpopular. At least that's my take on it. Go boomerang bags!

      Delete
  2. Its good to here you are back and had a lovely trip. I saw the traveling Van Gogh exhibit in Minneapolis with my daughter a few years back and I loved it so much. We got the listening devices with information each painting, history, his biography, etc. What a treat.
    However ... East, west, home's best, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just love the quiet of home after all the people and hustle and bustle.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a good break away, I love that Van Gough Quote!


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.