Thursday 18 August 2016

Permission to Play

Hooray! I finally finished my tax books and got them to the accountant. Now that my most despised chore is done, I gave myself permission to play.

In my last post I talked about what people were artfully doing with beach plastic. Well here are a few pieces that I made - totally without any idea of what I plan to do with them. I have put brooch backs on a couple, but well, got that out of my system.

My beach plastic creations


Some time back I joined a Make Do and Mend Facebook page. Someone on there was mending tea towels. Now most of us would just say - they're not expensive, just go buy some new ones, but I liked the quirkiness of the mend. Plus who else can admit to still using them even when they have a hole in them. So this one might come under "Lady you look like you have too much time on your hands", but I like it. 

Mending teatowels

Talking about play - a few weeks back I bought this little beauty off TradeMe (our Ebay).


 Never having owned an overlocker before, I was a little scared of it. I asked for a lesson on how to thread it from the nice Chinese man (a sewing machine fixer-upper) that I bought it off. Given that he didn't speak any English, it was very kind of him. Now I have the hang of it and am using it to make those net bags for the market (two posts ago), which I can knock out in 10 minutes from cutting to threaded drawstring.
It has been great learning this new skill from the internet and a fabulous book on serging from the library. I can now use that new knowledge helping others at SewGood, our community sewing group.

Sometimes my days are so busy that I fantasize about taking a day off! And I'm retired !! (apart from playing in the band and running my rentals) Anyone else feel like that?

7 comments:

  1. I would love to own an over locker...maybe one day hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second hand brought it to a realistic price, otherwise I don't think I would have got one either.

      Delete
    2. Second hand brought it to a realistic price, otherwise I don't think I would have got one either.

      Delete
  2. We call them sergers and I've always wanted one but never could justify the expense. It looks like you are making good use of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fraction of the full price for a new one, and is saving me a lot of time. I think I'll get plenty of use from it.

      Delete
  3. just loved the tea towel you are blessed with talent dear

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.