Friday 15 June 2018

A Deodorant Save and DIY Bailey's

Deodorant dilemmas
Last summer my home-made coconut oil/ baking soda deodorant failed. It just stopped working. I suspect this has something to do with the coconut oil remaining melted at room temperature.

I needed another plastic free idea and I stumbled onto the ideal solution, which I have been using ever since. Halved lemon/lime! It works unbelievably well and we grow a supply pretty much all year round. I just keep the halves in the fridge, taking a new slice off the top occasionally.
Squeeze a little juice onto the surface and rub it on. A gap between shaving armpits and citrus application is recommended.
The trouble is - I'm going travelling soon and will need yet another solution - I'm thinking witch hazel.
we have an abundance of limes right now - hooray!

DIY Bailey's Irish Cream

We don't drink a lot of alcohol - a glass of wine here and there and sometimes a liqueur in our coffee in the evening. My choice of liqueur is Bailey's Irish Cream, which we recently ran out of. I decided it was high time to use up some of those bottles of whiskey that we seem to have been given a lot of - so I've made my own Bailey's.


The recipe I used was one that I found here at Smitten Kitchen

It uses 
1 tsp of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
1 tin of condensed milk
1 cup of cream 
1 cup of whisky

It takes 5 minutes to mix and is seriously nice. The blogger I got it from states that it is supposed to last from 2 weeks to 2 months - and it needs to be kept in the fridge. It would normally take us longer than 2 months to drink this much - we might need to get help.



1 comment:

  1. What a pretty shot of your limes. I've never heard of using lemon or lime for deodorant but that's good to know as we always have some in the fridge. I add lavender essential oil to my baking soda/coconut oil but I think citrus would be a good change in the summer. I've tried using apple cider vinegar but I hate smelling like a pickle!
    Nice to use up your gifted whiskey making something that actually tastes good.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.