Thursday 22 November 2018

Green Parking, In the Sewing Mood

One of my goals for this year was to quit getting those plastic parking tickets from the parking machines. 
I'm ashamed to say that it has taken me far too long, but I have now logged on with mpark.co.nz and it was easy.
Now when I go to a carpark, all I have to do is log in on my phone and say how long I want to park for and pay. The beauty of this is that if I overstay my time, I can log in from wherever I am and extend the time without having to rush back from somewhere, or risk getting ticketed.


No more of these for me


Even after years ago deciding to stop using new plastic, I am still reducing plastic out of my life. 
Do you have this parking payment mode where you live?

We're finally getting sorted after our return from holiday. It has been hectic; preparing houses for new tenants and coping with the loss of Derek's 95 year old mother, just weeks after our return. Also our gardens were overgrown and seeds needed starting. 
I was hankering for a week in the studio, just pottering. Yesterday was the first day I managed...and this is what I got up to...

Sewed a button on daughter's boyfriend's pants (button was lost -  mum'll have one)
Made 10 produce bags (for the Boomerang bags stall at the Vegan Expo this weekend)
Repaired 2 teatowels - because I like mended stuff
Patched a pair of leggings that snagged on a stick while gardening - they now have a piece of black lace covering the mend, on black leggings.
Made a sewing machine dust cover - finally, after how many years??
Put a zip into a single use vacuum cleaner bag, so it's not single use any more. The zip was salvaged from my old work uniform.
Made an avocado ripening bag from an old blanket scrap. I'm dubious that this is going to work, but will post it if it does. It's meant to hasten ripening ++
Made a draught stopper snake from some knit fabric and scraps from the overlocker. It looks like a python that swallowed a villager, I think the next one will be an improvement hehe.  



It has been unseasonably cold today and I have been back in there again ...so much to do. I figure that if I complete lots of projects then there won't be so much to stash and tidy.


4 comments:

  1. What a productive week in the studio!

    Your python looks more like a cartoon version of our Australian Shingleback lizard LOL, but he is adorable...and I've never said that about a snake before! ;)

    From Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It's definitely the only kind of snake I want to see around here.

      Delete
  2. We could use a draft dodger, as they are called here, but I don't think I'll make a snake one. Maybe a caterpillar? This summer I came down our darkish hallway to see before me a black snake stretched across the entire width of it! It took both of us to catch the thing before it disappeared and when Paul got it it attached itself to his wrist! It seemed forever until he could get it through the house, out the back door, and detached from his arm. And it was big! Long! Harmless, fortunately. And no idea how it could have gotten in the house.
    We have free parking in our town, fortunately. (Although the town council is forever proposing putting in meters and charging the Looky Lou's (tourists). Happily, it hasn't happened. Yet. ). Glad you have found a way to de-plasticize your arrangement. We have had to use those machines in other towns, but mostly in South Carolina you just put quarters into an individual meter in front of your car. Then you bang on it to make the quarter fall down and register the little flag because half the time it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great snake story Cynthia. I probably wouldn't make it a snake either if we had them here. We still have plenty of the other type of meters here too. You're very lucky to have free parking. We have it only in the suburbs here.

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.