Sunday 13 January 2019

Napier and Hawkes Bay NZ

Christmastime is our busy summer season here, which is why I have not posted for ages. Gardens, visitors and a busy band schedule keep me away from blogging.
We ran away last week, booked an Air BnB in Napier (population 64,ooo)- which is 476k (295miles) from our home, and 320k N/E of the capital, Wellington. (Not so much a small town - but oh well).
Primarily we went for a Toto concert at one of the wineries, but for 4 nights so that we could have a look around as I hadn't been there since the 60's (I was very young haha).






Napier is known for it's Art Deco architecture - owing to the 1931 Hawkes Bay earthquake that meant a lot of the city had to be rebuilt. They make a feature of it with an Art Deco festival every year. (That's the Mr)

Vintage shopping at Charleston Chic

She also sang through the megaphone, which made it sound like an old record




Napier lights up at night with many beautiful light-changing fountains


Controversial zigzag track up Te Mata Peak - local Maori were not consulted when a permit was given to Craggy Range Winery to make the track. Locals want it removed.

We bypassed the big wineries for this one - Akarangi - in an old church. The wine tasting session was an entertainment in itself. 

The carved gateway to the Star Compass at Waitangi Regional Park,Hawkes Bay.



The Star Compass, Waitangi Regional Park, Hawkes Bay



Wineries, vintage shopping, stunning scenery and a  great concert - what's not to love?

4 comments:

  1. Did Toto sing ‘Africa’? I love that song! I had to read more about the star compass, which was fascinating. Drooling over the vintage shops and hope you found some treasures. Sounds like a perfect get-away for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they sang Africa - I love it too. I know sorry, I've skimmed over things to get as much of a glimpse of the place as possible in one post - glad you found the star compass interesting enough to look up - it's quite impressive. We did buy something in a little church op shop with stained glass windows, but not in the vintage shops shown.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, and I'm sure you would have had a great break in Napier. We are going on a cruise to NZ in March & looking forward to our visit to Napier. Thanks for the information as it will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, there was so much I had to leave out - you'll still have plenty to discover. Have a great time!

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.