Friday 19 April 2019

Mending Matters - It Really Does!

While I was waiting for this book, Mending Matters by Katrina Rodabaugh to arrive, Derek's niece Anabel arrived first. I had requested that our library buy the book in, Anabel arrived as part of her overseas adventure from England, via India.
I love this book, which is lucky as I spilled red wine on it and may end up buying it!


Anabel arrived wearing a really flattering jumpsuit - full of holes.
Before I could say Sashiko mending, Anabel offered up that she should maybe do something about the jumpsuit, which she had rescued from a fellow traveler who was about to throw it out. 
We then had a discussion on mending and went through my fabric scraps. We found some suitable patching material and the next morning I couldn't help but sew on an interior patch with hand stitching. Anabel liked the hole left as frayed, but in the Mending Matters book the holes are tidied up and the edges stitched.

Anabel's jumpsuit, Anne's wabisabi stitching.


I sent Anabel off with the patches and thread and needles. She's keen to keep adding patches in her down time - a suitable occupation for flights to the other side of the world - so long as she doesn't try to carry scissors.

Did I mention how much I love mending stuff? It's exciting that visible mending is on trend - and slow fashion is a thing.

Our last Repair Cafe (where I help with mending) was a lot more lively than the first - thanks to a bit more advertising. We had a couple of sewing mends, then helped some sweet little boys make gift bags, which they were so excited about.


 I was delighted to take my scissors along - including my pinking shears - to the man with a grinder there, and now have superbly sharp scissors - all for a donation. I didn't even know that pinking shears could be sharpened! Even the worst scissors that couldn't cut paper can now cut material.  ðŸ’ƒðŸ’ƒ Happy dance.

2 comments:

  1. I didn’t know you could sharpen pinking shears. Well, you can have them sharpened anyway — we don’t have anywhere to have any scissors sharpened in my town. I wish i could send you a photo of my Sachiko mending. I just LOVE to do it, especially on denim. There are some very inspiring pictures on Pinterest that i have collected. Now i just need more things to mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, post your sashiko on your blog Cynthia and inspire all your followers. Maybe you could start a repair cafe??

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.