Tuesday 23 June 2015

Warkworth - Small Town New Zealand

This week I had cause to kill an hour or so in the lovely little town of Warkworth, population of approx 4,000, which is on the way to Auckland when driving from Whangarei.
A chilly winter's day in Warkworth NZ


There are some lovely cafes and shops in this township, which sits on the south bank of the Mahurangi River. 
I particularly liked Juggles Boutique, which sells new and nearly new label clothing and accessories - it was just so pretty.

Juggles Boutique, Warkworth

And I liked the look of The Warkworth Butchery, which carries on the tradition of a beautifully laid out window display.




The town was founded in 1853, around industries such as logging, boat building and a flour mill - all making use of the river which runs into the Mahurangi Harbour, then the Hauraki Gulf.

A couple of restored wooden steam boats at the wharf

I ran out of time to whiz around all the junk shops, of which Warkworth seems to have a good supply. Sigh - retirement is so busy.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the hours fill up every day? I always hate to pass up a charity shop, too, especially a new one to explore. It is interesting to see s small town in New Zealand approximately the size of the closest town to where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cynthia - I thought that when I retired that I would have time to do everything! Ha!

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.