Wednesday 16 March 2016

Greening Floristry, Women in Clothes

Not long ago we received a basket of flowers, which was a lovely gesture. But when the flowers had all died, we were left with all of this "stuff" to dispose of. (Of course I didn't throw it out, but will use it to gift flowers from my own garden, except for the foam)

The disposables from a flower arrangement


Oasis foam is a pet hate of mine - it is a single use item that is used massively throughout the world. It is made of  formaldehyde foam! You would think that, being all about nature, floristry would be a bit greener. Well hopefully that day is coming - hooray!
I have just read about a product called Floral Soil created in the USA that is totally biodegradable, that is a replacement for floral foam.

Floral Soil        


You can read about it here. It's not available here in New Zealand yet, but hopefully it won't be long.
Now they just need to replace the plastic floral tape, the plastic cellophane (even though ordinary cellophane is biodegradable), and all the other plastic sh#*t that goes into arrangements at present.

Women in Clothes
I just love the local library! Recently someone on the Facebook group No New Clothes For A Year recommended this book - "Women In Clothes" - so I requested that our local library might stock it, and within a few weeks it was there!


I'm totally enjoying this book - it is full of interviews with women from around the world about their attitudes to their clothes, and it is seriously unconventional. For example some women send in photos of their mother before children and comment on their look, there is one part about perfume and the smell of clothing, there is a series of conversations where women compliment others on their clothes and the responses, and some short stories involving clothing with meaning. Even the photos are not what you would expect.


               This section had six strangers wear each others favourite outfits.

And a quote to help you feel better.....

'Sometimes I think to myself "Drop the book and get things done." Then I laugh and turn the page.' Unknown

3 comments:

  1. Ha Ha! Love the quote :)
    I enjoy reading blogs about simple living (obviously) so my quote would be more along the lines of "Leave the computer and get things done." Then I laugh and hit google search again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time someone is looking to replace that disgusting foam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had fun trying to work out which outfit really belonged to which woman before they swapped!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.