Wednesday 4 January 2017

Happy New Year, DIY Healthy Diet Tonic

Happy 2017! I hope it is a good one for all of you. 
For many 2016 was not so good, but personally, I had a great year. It was the year that I got in with some like-minded people to make a difference to our environment - further here about our plastic-free market project. Our band had it's best year ever, and generally, life has been sweet.

If you look at what is going on around the world it is easy to feel alarmed. I find that taking as much action as I can, and seeking out positive news helps to keep a balance mentally.

One little, spontaneous thing we did on Christmas Eve gave us such a buzz of enjoyment.
As Derek and I drove home from town, we came across a straggle of Te Araroa walkers, (more about them on a previous blog here), while they were still 15 minutes walk from our place. We decided to make a surprise Christmas morning tea for them, so as they rounded the bend, they were met with a hurriedly set up table and chairs, Christmas cake, chocolates and chocolate biscuits, stollen, cherries and iced orange drink. 



The looks on their faces were priceless, they were so excited. They were all from countries overseas, and they said they had not felt like it was Christmas (no snow for a start).
After stopping with us for nearly an hour, they trailed off to walk the rest of New Zealand, our Christmas decorations (donated) hung from various parts of their packs. 

So 2017? Well no resolutions, as usual, as I just jump in and do things as they occur to me. But this year my Derek retires (early), and we have a couple of overseas trips planned. I plan to use these trips to look at ways that other people are doing great things and clever ideas, plus have fun and catch up with family.
I plan to continue eating healthier, getting moving more, and doing my utmost personally for a better world - writing letters, being an influencer, not buying new, making as much as I can myself...
So on that note - here's my recipe (thank you Wendyl Nissen) for 

 DIY Diet Tonic

juice of 2 lemons
1/4 tsp stevia powder
1 tsp honey
10 drops of angostura bitters

Mix together and add to 1 litre of soda water (that's where my bargain soda stream machine comes in).

It's low calorie and so much nicer than bought diet tonic - let alone cheaper and more environmentally friendly if you make the soda water yourself.
Needless to say, it goes great with gin.



Cheers - here's to 2017!



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to do for those hikers! They will remember that and talk about that for the rest of their lives. You are right about having to read positive stories to balance out the negative, the world overwhelms me a lot sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cheryl, there is such a lot that we have no power to do anything about, but there is a lot of exciting good stuff happening too. I feel change is in the air. It might not be fast, but it's a wave.

      Delete
  2. That was a wonderful thing to do for the hikers! What a surprise it must have been for them to round the corner and see "Christmas" all set up for them. You have the best ideas.
    I have been thinking about your bag giveaway at the farmers market and wondering what would happen if I did that in front of the local grocery store. We have a tiny farmers market; maybe I could start there. I have been looking for fabric at the charity stores but haven't found anything sturdy cheap enough yet. We don't have very good second hand stores so it may take awhile.
    Anyway, I'm glad 2016 was good for you and I can't wait to see your projects for the new year.
    Oh! and do your travel plans extend to the US? Because if they do, I would love to meet up with you somewhere! Or, you are most definitely invited to use our guest room on the coast of South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Cynthia! I got a lot of terrific material by asking for off cuts at curtain making places - all for free..maybe try there. We don't just give our bags away - we ask for a donation to help fund the resupply of bags, because in the end we just couldn't make enough. Thank you so much for the offer of hospitality. I think we will be passing through the USA, but briefly - main destination is England and France, but that's the second trip. First one is Australia.

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.