Tuesday 17 December 2013

Eco Wrap and Gotu Kola

Eco Gift Wrapping
The other day I just popped in to an op shop in the little town of Hikurangi on my way through and was delighted to find a stash of vintage wallpaper - just when I needed it for giftwrapping. 

all this paper for just a $3 donation to a charity


I thought the Christmas presents looked lovely with little added touches from the supply of things I already had.

gifts wrapped in recycled papers


I already had the old sea chart, which makes lovely giftwrap for a coastal Christmas theme.



We needed new Santa sacks for the girls, as red and green ones weren't going to cut it this year. I was pleased to use some old crocheted table cloths and a gauzy food throw - all of which had seen better days and were waiting to be repurposed.
Santa sacks made from old table cloths and food cover.

Gotu Kola
Gotu Kola - wonder herb.


I read about this the other day as being a wonder herb, but nearly didn't buy it as I thought it looked like a weed. However the list of it's benefits goes like this...antispasmodic, antibacterial, anti inflammatory, antiviral, an adrenal strengthener, blood purifier, sedative and tonic, compounds to heal all manner of injuries.
Probably it's best known use is for it's ability to improve memory and cognitive function.
It's also used to reduce high blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels. Numerous studies show that it can improve circulation to the lower legs and reduce swelling.
It also is known to reduce arthritic pain.
Is there anything this plant can't do - and how come the whole world is not taking it?
The comprehensive 2 page article I read is in the NZ Gardener December 2012. It gives instruction on how to use the herb for different purposes, and what time of day is best to take it - as apparently it can keep you awake if taken too late in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.