Thursday 7 November 2013

Ch.. Ch.. Ch.. Changes

As the Cheshire Cat said to Alice ..."If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there".

At the moment I don't have a plan of where I am going - I know that I am following the Green road, and that I have some ethical signposts that help me choose which direction to take, but I am just following the road to see where it leads.

There have been a lot of little changes to how I live in the past year - and I was already one of the greener type people. It is a case of considering everything to see if there is a better alternative.
 Today I took butter from the fridge and realized - "Oh I have bought a foil wrapped one - if I had bought the paper wrapped butter I could have composted the wrapper instead of throwing it out".
 And I have finally found a butcher who wraps meat in brown paper! That is OMAK Butchery in Kamo for any local readers.


About 6 weeks ago in an earlier blog I decided that I was not going to buy any clothing for a year, as I felt a little addicted, and I had already taken a nothing new challenge 3 years ago. I have to say that I have not bought anything, but more than that I feel freed from even thinking about shopping. I have saved time and money and it will make me revisit what is in my wardrobe with new eyes. 

A Good Investment
This salad spinner I picked up for $5 at a Hospice Shop. The beauty of it is that once I have washed and spun my salad greens or silverbeet or broccoli, I can leave it in the spinner, with the water still in it from the spin, and it keeps the greens fresh for days.

Bargain salad spinner

Organic Hair Colour
Another recent change has been shifting to an organic haircolour - because I refuse to go mousey grey. I should have done this years ago - it works really well covering the mousey grey and has no horrible chemicals, plus it works out to be quite economical. The brand I am using is Radico Colour Me Organic. I am able to mix the powders from two different colours to hopefully achieve perfection (written while waiting for the big reveal). The packaging is not fully biodegradable so I will be looking for a better one - maybe this one at Lush.co.nz where they make natural products with as eco friendly packaging as possible.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.