Wednesday 16 July 2014

DIY Lipbalm, Shopping Local

It's not where we stand, but in what direction we are moving - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

This is the display at my local Binn Inn, where I can take my own containers to fill and the owners/staff are always lovely and cheerful about it. It is worth shopping in small shops just for that kind of personal service. They do a window display that faces into the shop - for their customers to enjoy.
I am always finding something else there that I realize I can buy with my own container to cut down yet another products packaging.

Glamorous vintage shop display

Yesterday I finally got around to making myself some lip balm, and decided it would make an excellent Christmas present too.
 I used this recipe...Wendyl's Lip Balm and it was so easy!
from Wendyl Nissen's Green Goddess books

20ml sweet almond oil
1/2 teaspoon of beeswax, grated
1/2 teaspoon of cocoa butter
1 teaspoon of icing sugar (but I would use 1/4 to 1/2 next time)
1 capsule of vitamin E (I didn't have this, so just left it out)
5 drops of essential oil - I used peppermint

Melt oil butter and beeswax in a double boiler - I used a chipped pottery bowl that I keep just for making cosmetics, in a small saucepan of water.
Add icing sugar and stir. 
Remove from the heat and add vitamin E and essential oil. Pour into a little pot and label with a pretty label. Wait for it to cool and solidify and it is ready to use. I love it.
DIY lipbalm


I bought all my ingredients from soapcraft.co.nz, and once you have these ingredients you can make lots of different products. I'm going to be making face moisturizer soon as I am about to run out of the last one I have.


Just remain at the centre watching - then forget that you are there
....Lao Tze





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.