Sunday 17 November 2013

Whangarei Markets and Crackers

Ok, so Whangarei is not actually a small town - it's a small city with a population of approx 50,000 people. It's in a basin with hills all around and the markets are held on a disused bridge at the Town Basin - where there is a marina as the city is at the top of the harbour. There are a myriad of beautiful beaches within an hour or so from the city.
The market is an artisans market, and there will also be a food market there on a Sunday, with a variety of foods from different ethnicities.

Whangarei Artisan's Market

Whangarei Artisan's Market


But What Do You Do All Day?
It makes me chuckle when sometimes people ask me what I do all day. I think they might imagine I watch a lot of daytime tv. Slow living means my days are full - there is always more to do and I never get bored or lonely.
For example, today, among other things, I have spent 2 hours in the garden, taken the dog to the beach (where I found 2 coins and 2 sinkers with the metal detector before the battery ran out), made lemon drink, muesli, Bob Each Way Spread (butter and olive oil - find it on the search on my blog), crackers (recipe to follow), bran biscuits, rice pudding, yoghurt...and dinner. 

Sesame and Oregano Lavosh - a la Annabel Langbein

Like all Annabel Langbein's recipes this one is easy and turned out as predicted, although I think I could have rolled them even thinner.
Sesame and Oregano Lavosh

1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp finely chopped oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup of water

Preheat oven to 165C
In a mixing bowl stir together the flours, sesame seeds, oregano and salt. Mix the oil and water together and add to the dry ingredients to make a soft dough.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each out as thinly as possible. I use baking paper to sandwich the dough as I roll it.They need to be virtually see through. Cut into strips and place carefully on the baking tray.
Brush lightly with extra oil and sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake until crisp and golden - about 15 - 18 minutes. Cool fully then store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.