Thursday 3 April 2014

Birthday Carrot Cake and Using My Vintage Fabric

When they advise "Don't experiment with new recipes on guests" I'm a shocker for ignoring that. For our recent party I tried out three new recipes - on 100 people.
Two days before the party I Googled "Never fail carrot cake" - and this recipe is what I got. I tripled it (without testing it - they said no-fail right?), to have enough.
Stack of leather bound books birthday cake


Indeed it was the nicest carrot cake ever, and it was a success, even staying moist for a week.
Written in gold cake decorating ink, using a small paintbrush


Fortunately old books are meant to look a bit battered. If you ever want to do a big kindness for someone throwing a birthday party - offer to make and decorate the cake, as this has to be done petty much the day before and can be rather a challenge.

No Fail Carrot Cake - from The Truth About Mummy blog

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups of vegetable oil
2 cups of white sugar ( I have since cut this to 1 1/2 and it was good)
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups of plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups of grated carrot
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 175c
Grease and paper tin
In a large bowl beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla.
Mix in flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
Stir in carrots.
Put mix in the baking tin and bake for 50 minutes.
Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

No Fail Carrot Cake

Vintage Fabric Belt

The fabric for this sash type belt has been kicking around in my mother's, and then my material stash for a very long time - given that it was an offcut from a fifties playsuit. Along with some vintage tablecloth material and vintage buckle, it is now put to use.
I pretty much left the offcut in the shape that I found it and it fits snugly around the hips.
Vintage Fabric Belt



lining from vintage tablecloth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.