Sunday 20 April 2014

Little Piece of Paradise - Waiheke Island

My Happy Place

I know I have posted Waiheke Island before, but I am there for Easter - and there is so much to add. Just a 45 minute ferry ride from Auckland gets you to another view of life.



It is just the best of all the things I love - Jazz Festival, art galleries, book fair, wineries, dragon-fired pizza on the beach and a surprise around every corner.

Wellington City Shake-'Em-On-Downers 



Waiheke Community Movie Theatre


We went for a walk this morning...everyone we met said "hi".In the next bay we walked to was a pod of twelve or so dolphins - and lots of people in swimming with them.



I love the community here - they are very environmentally conscious. They have no-plastic Fridays, where shops won't use plastic bags or disposable products. The local paper says the community will soon be planting fruit trees on public reserves - for anyone to access. Also there are arty touches everywhere on the island, and recycled items - like these letterboxes.




Carving by Anton Forde
If I could live in two places at once - one of them would be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.